Friday, September 17, 2010

Digital Wood Joinery Lesson No.2

The 3D illustration isn't as clear to some readers as I wish they are so here is a 2D figure with a few more varieties of tong & grooves which I like to employ in my designs.
The Magenta vertical blocks are the various varieties of Tong (male) & the bottom horizontal Cyan are the Grooves (female).
the 1st & 2nd on the left is the simplest form which are my favourite.
the the 3rd requires turning the job to cut  both sides of the tong hence I rarely use it.
The 4th, 5th & 6th  are great when I want to show off how my stuff snaps on perfectly... :D
The grooves are usually half the wood thickness & the narrower tong of the 5th, 6th & 7th are normally half the plank thickness too.
With CNC precision & cut quality, I usually design the tong to fit the grooves exactly, no need for small clearance/allowance for adjustment during assembly like traditional carpenters do.

These Tong & Groove Joints are self-reference, holding themself up when assembled & you don't need set sqare to square them up or clamps to hold them on. A few tander knock will persuase them to mate up nicely.

1 comment:

  1. Allow to correct. Its TONGUE & GROOVE joint.

    ReplyDelete